Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day Hiking - A Fun Way to Get Out of the House

One of the easiest and best ways to get in shape is to get outside.  To get started there are a few items that you will need:  a backpack, comfortable - sturdy shoes, and appropriate clothing.

Keep in mind - I am not some super hiker - I don't go out for days with a full pack, but I do like getting outdoors on day trips.  Here are some tips.

Know where you are going - Check with your local parks department or your state park website. Trails.com has trails located close to your zip code but there is a membership fee.





Let someone know where you are going - I say this because I was on a hike in a natural park just north of the city.  There was an older woman that was walking across a rocky area when she slipped severely spraining her ankle.  Fortunately for her, someone came on behind her on the trail and got help for her.  As I arrived at the park they were taking her away in an ambulance and calling her family to come get her car.  It is not just older people, I've actually slipped one time at the same park when it was wet.  Nothing could be worse than falling down a hill with no one on the trail behind you.  If you don't want to call someone at least leave a note taped on your computer or on the fridge.



Check the weather - Here in South Texas we are in the worst drought in a hundred years.  The heat is almost unbearable.  However, there have been times when we have had flash floods and freezing weather.  It is important to know what to expect, especially if a front is moving in.  Be prepared.




Endurance and distance - Know what you limit is.  I've had foot surgery this past year, so when I start hiking again I will start on the level 1 - easy trails.   One of the things that I do is walk through my neighborhood, this helps me build the distance I am able to walk.  If you are out of breath walking around the block, kick it up a notch.   If you are in good shape the moderate trails may be the answer for you, but then again they are usually longer.  Before my foot problems I would hike at Lost Maples on an 5 mile trail which wrapped around the park.  I wouldn't try it now, but I will work my way back up to it.





Preparation - This will be the most important part.  You should always have a backpack.  Water is essential for any hike.  It is always good to have trail bars not just in case you get stuck somewhere, but also for a great snack.

In summer, light comfortable clothing, with socks and good shoes or hiking boots.  Make sure you have plenty of water (a bottle per mile) and snacks.  A rain poncho in the backpack is always good since it can protect you against rain and the sun.

In spring or fall, a light jacket, pants and good heavy socks and good shoes or hiking boots.  Once again water is a must and food.  A rain poncho and a thermal blanket (looks like foil and helps reflect body heat) in your backpack.





Perfume - Leave it at home.  It attracts mosquitoes and  bees.

Predators - I carry two things a stick to watch for snakes and pepper spray just in case I come across an unruly animal that won't leave me alone.  When camping and hiking in Colorado, I carried Bear spray to use as an option.

If you sit down on rocks, keep in mind - snakes like rocks, scorpions like rocks, ants and other insects tend to migrate towards rocks.

 One of my favorite parks:


No comments:

Post a Comment