Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Doing Laundry

It always amazes me when I see someone throw all of their clothes in the washer without separating them.  My 28 year old son is really good at doing this even though I taught him many years ago how to do laundry.

First, always have a stain stick with you.  This way, if you see something on your clothes you can dab it very easily before it goes in the washer.

Presoak items that need it, ladies, remember, Dawn dish soap removes protein (blood) very well. 

Next, separate your clothes.  Colored clothes, whites, towels, jeans - all need to be separated not only due to the color differences but also due to the weight of the wet material.  The sheer weight of the jeans and towels will wear down colored or lighter weight clothing.

If I have only a few items to wash I will combine the the towels and jeans.  Since I have very few whites I will combine them with my colored clothing.

DO NOT OVERLOAD THE WASHING MACHINE!

When moving clothing from the washer to the dryer, I always remove my underwire bras.  The reason being - underwires break in the dryer.  It is easier and cheaper to hang them over the towel rack in my bathroom and allow them to dry.  Usually it will take about 3-4 hours.

As clothing comes out of the dryer, I fold it immediately.  Nothing looks as sloppy as wrinkled clothing - even if it is just a t-shirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment