Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Buying Seeds

If you are planning a garden for next year, you may want to look for seeds now.  This is the time of year in which many stores put the seeds on sale.  The best seeds to buy are heirloom seeds, since they can reproduce year after year. 

Since I rent, I have container gardens.  Which means I can move my garden inside for the winter.

Seeds that I have I store in a cool dry place.  As long as they are not frozen or get wet, they will keep for a period of years.

When buying seeds, make sure that what you are buying will grow in your area.

Short term plants need to be eaten within a few days of harvest.  These include leafy greens, radishes, cucumbers, broccoli, and spinach.

Mid term plants can be stored for several months.  These  include pecans, some types of squash, potatoes, and onions.

Lont term plants can be dried or dehydrated and include pecans, wheat, barley, peas, beans, and corn.

Most items can be canned.


No comments:

Post a Comment