Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Goals: Setting and Maintaining

It's amazing how many people say they want to do something and never really formulate a plan on how to do it.  Setting and maintaining goals is the one way to reach that milestone.

My favorite:  "I wanna lose weight."

"Ok.  So how are you going to do it?"

"Oh, I guess I'll go join a gym or something"

No real plan.

First, in the example above - how much weight do you want or need to lose?  Set a plan into motion on losing weight - walking, running, hiking, swimming, or put on your appointment book exactly how often or when you will be going to the gym.  GET UP OFF THE COUCH!

Of course goals are much more than the example given.  Look at the big picture and set lifetime goals.  Goals can relate to:
  • Career
  • Financial
  • Education
  • Family
  • Artistic
  • Attitude
  • Physical
  • Pleasure
  • Public Service
Within your catagories, set short term goals or in other words "make a 5 year plan".
Consider your 5 year plan a "to-do" list.

Another example:  I grew up in poverty.  I was a child of the welfare system and lived in subsidized housing.  I always wanted to go to college, but after living with different relatives and switching high school six times, it was not an option when I graduated high school.  So at 27, I started college.  It took me 9 years, but I graduated in 1999 at the age of 35 with B.A. from Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio.  It can be done.  It just takes a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment