Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Planning Christmas Dinner without it Breaking the Budget!

I know Christmas is 60 days away.  That's no reason not to plan.  I usually have about 20 people over.  Between my children, their friends and usually some troops from local bases, I end up with a house full.

Here are some suggestions depending on how many you are cooking for.  I usually have 3 entrees, 5 side dishes, 2 drinks, 5 desserts, and a stuffing.

Look at your entree, here are some possibilities:
  • Turkey
  • Ham
  • Goose
  • Duck
  • Standing Rib Roast (Pork or Beef)
  • Brisket
  • Cornish Hens
  • Quail
Sides:
  • Salad
  • Fruit dish (fruit salad or fruit compote)
  • Root vegetables
  • Yams 
  • Potatoes
  • Broccoli and Cheese
Drinks:
  • Egg Nog
  • Punch
  • Non-alcoholic punch for kids!
Desserts:
  • I usually have at least one Christmas Cake (red velvet, carrot, spice, etc)
  • Pies - this is the South after all! (I usually have 3-4) (Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Pecan, Chocolate Cream, Lemon, Mincemeat, Coconut Cream or Banana Cream)
  • Desserts (such as my Brownie Trifle, English Trifle, Tiramisu, Baklava, etc)
The main thing is to go through your recipes and see what can be done ahead of time.  For instance, since I cook everything from scratch - For my yams,  I boil my sweet potatoes a day or two ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator.  This way all I have to do it put them in the baking dish, put the butter on top and sprinkle the brown sugar over them, adding the marshmallows for the last 10 minutes. My pumpkin or sweet potato pies will be put together the weekend before the holiday, and be baked usually the night before. 

Don't wear yourself out,  a meal is meant to be enjoyed - by the cook too!

No comments:

Post a Comment