Saturday, October 29, 2011

Majors

Whether you going back to school or just now attending it is important for you to which direction you are headed.  The most common major in colleges today is in business.  It is also the one that I would least recommend.  In reality, business majors are a dime a dozen - meaning there are way too many.  Most business majors come out of college straddled with debt and end up starting out making minimum wage or close to it.

Currently there is a severe shortage of Science, Math, and Health related majors.  Some of these majors may require a Master's degree to excel in the field, but they pay very well.  My son is currently majoring in Electrical Engineering and my daughter in Mechanical Engineering.  They will never have to worry about employment, because of the shortage of engineers.  If they cannot find employment with a private company, they can easily become self employed.

While fine arts degrees are nice, they are basically pre-unemployment degrees.  Let's get real, Prince William may have a degree in Art History, but most people do not have his resources.  Most of us live in the real world, where the purpose of going to school is to obtain employment.

Now for the disclaimer.  I started off as a Geology major.  When I found out the company that I worked for paid for business degrees, I switched my major - BIG MISTAKE.  I should have gone back to school full time and earned my geology degree.  A mistake I can rectify!  Currently I am shopping for Master's Degrees at this time which with only a few undergraduate courses I can qualify for.  After all, as long as you have a pulse, you are capable of learning.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment