Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Paying Off Debt

For those of us in the real world, you've probably had a few bumps in the road.  I know I have.  There are some things that I have done, that I should have known better.  After all, I've worked in Financial Services for over 30 years, and I am a Chartered Life Underwriter.  All I can say is we live and we learn.

Some writers and so-called experts will tell you pay off the ones with the lowest balance and then put that money towards the next one and so on until it's paid off.  I took a different approach.

First, sit down and on a piece of paper list every bill you have.  Make four columns (Name of creditor, balance, interest rate, and minimum payment).  Now that you've done that, have a drink!  You've just completed the hardest part!

Look at the bill that you have that has the highest interest rate.

For Example: ABC Mastercard - $2814 bal. - 22.47% APR - $45 min pmt.

Think about this, they are charging you more money than any other piece of credit that you have.  Can you work it into your budge to pay $114?  I paid off credit cards using this approach.  I would pay $50 or $100 payments + the interest being charged every month.  Within 2 years I was out of debt.

Think about it, try a new approach!

No comments:

Post a Comment